Did you know?
No matter what type of medicines you or your family take, it’s important to know your medicines. If medicines aren’t used correctly, the results can be serious.
- An estimated 9 million Australians take prescription medicine every day.
- Each year more than 230,000 Australians are hospitalised with problems caused by their medicine.
- 61% of Australians have stopped their medicine without consulting their doctor or have not taken medicines as directed
Four Steps to being Medicine Wise:
- Ask questions of your doctor to get the information you need about medicines or tests to help you make better informed decisions.
- Know the active ingredient as its what makes your medicine work. When your pharmacist offers you an alternative brand of a prescription medicine, it will always have the same active ingredient as the one on your prescription.
- Always follow instructions from your doctor and read the labels and packaging of your medicines carefully.
- Keep track of all your medicines by making a list and store it in your wallet or handbag. Keep your medicines list with you, especially on visits to your doctor, pharmacist or the hospital.