The Australian Immunisation Register (AIR) records all vaccinations given to people of all ages, including National Immunisation Program schedule vaccines, flu, shingles and travel vaccinations.
The number of children fully immunised in Australia has hit a record high of 94.5% for five year olds and 93.8% for one year olds. In a significant milestone, the vaccination rate among Indigenous children has also reached the highest recorded level.
We consider it is important to record vaccines given to our patients on the AIR because AIR records data to:
- Monitor vaccination coverage across Australia;
- Monitor the effectiveness of vaccines and vaccination programs;
- Inform immunisation policy and research;
- Identify any parts of Australia at risk during disease outbreaks;
- Show a person’s immunisation status, regardless of where they were immunised;
- Assess eligibility for Family Tax Benefit and Child Care Subsidy payments; and
- Provide proof of vaccination for entry to child care and school and for employment purposes.
These statistics and information comes from the Department of Human Services. For more information go to humanservices.gov.au/hpair