Antibiotic resistance is a serious worldwide problem, and it’s happening in Australia. The World Health Organization has warned that antibiotic resistance is one of the greatest threats to human health today. However, there are simple actions individuals can take to help stop the spread of antibiotic resistant infections.
It’s time to take antibiotic resistance seriously and our doctors here at Floreat Medical will play a part by:
- Avoiding prescribing antibiotics for viral infections.
- Prescribing the right antibiotic for an infection.
- Providing clear instructions to patients about how long the patient should continue to take the tablets, even after symptoms have disappeared.
Discussing the importance of alternative options for first line treatment of various conditions.
Before antibiotics, infection was a leading cause of death. Today, due to overuse and misuse, we risk losing the effectiveness of antibiotics. Antibiotic resistance is not a problem of the future – it is happening now. All Australians can fight antibiotic resistance by using antibiotics appropriately.
NPS MedicineWise KEY MESSAGES:
- Antibiotic resistance is a serious worldwide problem, and it’s happening in Australia.
- Australians take a lot of antibiotics.
- The more antibiotics are used – and the more they are misused – the greater the problem of antibiotic resistance.
- Antibiotic resistance can have serious consequences for you, your family and the community.
- We can slow down antibiotic resistance in Australia by only using antibiotics when they are really needed.